Measures announced include boosting affordable housing, addressing funding shortfalls for transportation needs, and providing resources for safe drinking water, drought relief, and urban parks.
The new legislative session opened this week as the state’s P3 legislation for transportation is to sunset on January 1, 2017.
The bills are;
- SB 1 (Beall): Transportation Infrastructure and Economic Investment Act
- SB 4 (Mendoza): Clean Goods Movement Bond
- SB 2 (Atkins): The Building Homes and Jobs Act
- SB 3 (Beall): Statewide Housing Bond
- SB 5 (De León): The CA Clean Drinking Water and Natural Resources Protection Act of 2016
While P3 is not referred to specifically in any of these bills, both SB1 (SB-1 Transportation funding) and SB5 (California Clean Water, Climate, and Coastal Protection and Outdoor Access For All Act of 2018) contain language that would see projects that leverage private funding given priority.
Senator Jim Beall said “By updating our funding system for transportation repairs now, we will restore our bridges, streets, and highways and generate thousands of good-paying jobs that will benefit families and California’s economy.’’
Meanwhile, Senator Jean Fuller has been unanimously re-elected to serve as Senate Republican Leader for the 2017-18 legislative session.