Ghana eyes dam partnerships

Ghana’s government is calling for public-private partnerships for the construction, operation and maintenance of dams to ensure water conservation.

A recent study by the Ghana Irrigation Development Authority revealed the fast deterioration of dams and dugouts in the country.

Vice President John Dramani Mahama also said that feasibility studies for the development of the Accra Plain Irrigation Project had been completed and that workshops would be organised to validate the studies.

The Volta Basin is the main drainage system in the country and covers a total area of 400,000 sq kms. About 82% of the basin is located in Ghana and Burkina Faso, with the remaining 18% being shared by Togo, Benin, Cote d'Ivoire and Mali.

Ghana has built two hydroelectric dams on its section of the Volta River, which together produce 1,060MW of power, constituting about 75% of the nation's total electricity supply.