Winner on Canadian sewage plant

The city council for Greater Sudbury in Ontario, Canada, has chosen a winner for the $62m P3 biosolids plant.

Toronto-based firm N-Viro Systems will design, finance and operate the facility, which will treat sewage sludge for the area and is expected to be operational by 2015.

As part of the deal, Greater Sudbury Council will pay 75% upon completion of the project, with the remaining 25% to be paid over the 20-year agreement. The Canadian government has also provided $11m for the project through PPP Canada.

N-Viro held off competition from four other firms for the project, which has been in the offing since 2008 after the Canadian Ministry of Environment advised the city that it could no longer dump its sludge in nearby tailing ponds.

City council chief financial officer Lorella Hayes revealed that the PPP funding model provided the city with a potential "value for money" return of $16 million – something that could not be done through traditional funding, she claimed.

Tony Cecutti, head of infrastructure for Greater Sudbury also described the plan as “the best possible deal for the city at this point”.